Counter-terrorism police have made two fresh raids on addresses in east London in connection with Saturday’s deadly terror attack in London.
The Metropolitan Police said officers entered properties in Newham and Barking at 4.15am on Monday and “a number” of people had been detained.
Searches were continuing at both addresses, police added.
Residents reported hearing “loud flash bangs and gunshots” in the early hours of Monday morning.
Terrorists brought carnage to the streets of Britain for the second time in as many weeks, killing seven and leaving 21 fighting for their lives.
Pedestrians were mowed down by a van on London Bridge before attackers stabbed a police officer and revellers around Borough Market with 12-inch knives.
One of the attackers shouted “this is for Allah” as he knifed a man near a pub – while the Islamic State militant group claimed its fighters carried out the attack.
The group is said to have urged extremists to run over civilians in a poster released over the weekend featuring a knife, handgun and lorry urging radicals to “gain benefit from Ramadan”.
The three men, wearing fake suicide bomb vests, were shot dead by eight officers outside a pub after police opened fire with an “unprecedented” hail of 50 bullets, while a bystander was also shot.
Officers say they know the identities of the men who carried out the attack and will release the names “as soon as operationally possible”.
Scotland Yard said seven women and five men aged between 19 and 60 were arrested under the Terrorism Act in Barking on Sunday. A 55-year-old man was later released without charge.
A vigil will be held on Monday evening near London Bridge in honour of the victims of the attack, which took place at around 10pm, while a minute’s silence will take place at 11am on Tuesday.
Source: The Telegraph of London